So unfortunately, it’s that time of year again where university assignments are due and students are revising for exams. However, I have no exams this semester, though that doesn’t mean it is any less stressful. Writing essays can be exhausting and finding references that are actually related to your topic can be demanding. Here are my top 10 tips on how to cope with the stress of assignment and examss:
- Manage your time effectively
- Start early… you have probably heard this a lot but it does work. If you get assignments done early, you are that much closer to enjoying your summer. If that isn’t motivation, I don’t know what is!
- Avoid drinking cups of coffee and tea
- Caffeine is a stimulant that ultimately increases your level of stress rather than decrease it. I know that if I start drinking cups of coffee to keep me awake, I usually get migraines, which doesn’t help me be productive in any way, shape or form!
- Take a walk
- Getting fresh air boosts the brain power and memory retention which in turn aids your revision for exams and helps you be more productive when doing your assignments.
- Eat dark chocolate
- You may not like it, but dark chocolate contains over 70% cocoa which fights the stress hormone called cortisol.
- Break free from distractions
- If you are going to set a specific amount of time to do your assignments, make sure there aren’t any distractions! Put your phone away and concentrate on getting the work done, then you can allow yourself to go on your phone! It really does enable you to be more productive!
- Try studying with someone else
- I know revision can be boring but maybe if you have a study buddy, it’ll help you do more work. Go to the library with someone and you might find comfort in knowing that you aren’t the only one being forced to revise for these exams!
- Get some sleep
- Don’t stay up till 3am watching movies or seasons of tv programs on Netflix because that will just make you more tired the next day!
- Listen to music if you can’t study in silence
- I know some people cannot listen to music when they are studying, I am one of those people but I know some of my friends find it impossible to study in absolute silence. So, put your headphones in and head to the library or stay at home and blast some music.
- Play with your pet (if you have one or knows someone that does)
- Spending time with your pet increases the stress reducing hormone oxytocin so if you have a pet, go for a walk or let them run around in your garden! You get fresh air, a chance to take a break and spend time with your pet!
- Spend time with your friends
- Whether you admit it or not, you cannot stay cooped up in your room or library every single day. You need to see your friends as that will help put things in perspective and help you relax. You don’t have to feel guilty for it because you’ve earned it!
I hope this helps and these are things that I do myself when it comes to assignments and revision! Just know that after your last exam, that’s you done till September and you can enjoy Summer without a worry on your head!
“Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.” – John Wooden