So this topic has been on my mind for a while. Maturity. How can the maturity of a person be defined? Everybody knows the quote, “Age doesn’t define maturity” and I absolutely agree but sometime the problem isn’t knowing if someone is mature but accepting the fact that they are mature.
I think maturity is an ongoing process. You don’t just wake up on your 18th birthday, and all of a sudden you are mature. Yes, when you are 18, you are legally an adult, but does that really make you mature?
I feel there are certain traits when you mature and they are as follows:
- Take ownership and responsibility of your actions
- Control your emotions
- Have the ability to listen and evaluate other people’s opinion
- Accept negative feedback as a way to improve oneself
- Walk away from people who have a negative impact on your life
- Think of consequences before you act
- Know when to apologise
- Materialistic things make you smile but it doesn’t define happiness
- You take care of others but you also take care of yourself
- Learning that you can’t control everything, so you make the best of it
“We don’t mature through age. We mature in awareness.” – Byron Katie